The “Hortus botanicus assindiensis” and the “GRUGA” form the nucleus of today’s Grugapark. The Botanical Garden was planted as early as 1927 as a teaching and experimental garden for scientific purposes. The aim was and is to arrange plants, shrubs and trees systematically and to classify them according to their characteristics. The botanical attractions include the Alpinum, the Westphalian Farmer’s Garden, the Rose Garden, the Shrubbery, the Conifer Collection, the Asia Section and the Heath Section.
Several times a year rare plant markets with unusual plants from around the world are held in and around the Orangerie, including the provision of specialist advice.